"Missions are hard . . ." Guess the movie! UP! Gotta love chubby little Russell -- "Tents are hard . . ." But really, this week was a little harder than the last. Of course I'm still stoked to be on a mission but I guess it's finally starting to hit me just how difficult it will be. But don't worry, I know it's not about me. It's about the people of Italy and having the faith and trust in the Lord that He will make up for my own faults and weaknesses. It's only through Him that I can be an effective and successful missionary. This work truly is nothing without His spirit and we must strive everyday and in every way to be worthy of it. I personally cannot forgo a single blessing as I prepare to go out and teach the gospel. Neither is their room for doubt or discouragement.
I have an embarrassing story for you though! By this point, my district has discovered how red my face turns when I'm embarrassed, uncomfortable, or nervous. On Friday we had a large group meeting and I was called up to share comments I received after receiving my mission call. While doing so I was holding a couple of helium balloons. After about a minute of talking the instructor told me to now share any discouraging comments I received from my friends and family, ie. I wouldn't baptize anyone. As soon as I began he quickly popped the balloons scaring me half to death! Unfortunately I was taken so much by surprise that my face instantaneously turned scarlet. I then had to return to my seat on the back row (there were about 150 missionaries there) to sit by my district. They were all keeled over laughing at me and as soon as I sat down they were happy to describe the exact shade my face was, the color of my fuscia shirt . . . lovely. But that's alright. Missions are a continual stream of awkward moments connected by short spurts of scripture study, prayer, and sleep. Better get used to it!
One more quick story. yesterday in class my teacher, Fratello Silva, wanted to take it easy on us and help us relax because we had the TRC. So after we practiced door contacting in Italian, he began sharing mission stories with us. One of which was describing how much weight he'd gained. First off, it is important to explain that he is my height and probably only weighs 115 to 120 pounds. Second, he said he does not gain any weight in his stomach, only on his legs and backside. We all couldn't help but laugh when he explained walking up stairs and being disgusted at the fact that his thighs rubbed together, haha! I told him I refused to gain weight but he assured me I would, it was out of my control. And almost every Anziano in my district has gained weight so far, one gained 10 pounds that first week! But I just won't eat if I have too ;) But I should be fine, I've actually lost weight without even trying and I haven't even begun tracting.
Things are still going really well. I can both pray and testify in Italian. I actually feel quite comfortable doing both, though I can't express myself fully, it's definitely an improvement. Here's a sample (maybe Liesel will understand)
Voglio portare la mia testimonianza, io so che Gesu Cristo e il nostro Salvatore e il Figlio di Dio. Joseph Smith restaurato il Vangelo mediante la fede in Gesu Cristo. La Chiesa e vera. Dico queste cose nel nome di Gesu Cristo Amen.
I know, pretty elementary, but better than nothing! I'm learning a ton and coming to understand my purpose and God's plan for each of us more each day. If nothing else, I know we have a dear, loving Heavenly Father who wants nothing more than to live with each of us forever. The gospel of Jesus Christ truly has been restored to the earth and i feel so privileged to be able to share it with my brothers and sisters! The language will come regardless of my spirituality, but only the faithful can teach by the spirit. My priority is continuing to convert myself. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving because there is SO much to be grateful for. I don't think I've even begun to brush the surface of all I've been giving :) Thanks for all your love and support!
Love, Sorella LeCates