Tuesday, January 3, 2012

So, Unfortunately . . .

This letter is going to be short because we do not have a ton of time due to . . . the mishaps that happen everyday. And you will all hear from me Saturday so it's okay.

Last Tuesday we went to go see an old investigator named Anna Salemi but she was in a board meeting so we kind of did some wandering/finding in centro until we took a bus home. We did have to wait an eternity for the bus though, but we survived. That afternoon we went to see Kristiana and again we taught her about the priesthood because she still did not understand. We ended up reading directly from the guide to the scriptures in the back of the book of Mormon and we hope she understands now enough to pray and get an answer. If not, we have run out of ways to explain priesthood authority. Before English course we had a lesson with Angelo and after about 15 minutes, Emanuele Mirabella stuck his head in the door and asked if he could help us. OF COURSE. Most of the lessons with Angelo don't exactly go with a theme. We plan something every time and then we end up just talking about some random scripture he has found and he picks are brain apart, wanting to know what we think. I think this time it was about something Paul wrote in one of his epistles. For English course it was only me and one student, Michelangelo. For the spiritual thought we had a nice little talk and I learned that he used to read the Book of Mormon and he has prayed to know if it is true but he said that he either did not receive an answer or he did not recognize it. I told him he has to keep reading and trying and eventually, when he is ready, the answer will come and he will know it.

Wednesday we went and did the grocery shopping and then internet. But because I write letters that are way too long we were really late for our lunch appointment with the Rochira family. They were all sitting around the table waiting when we arrived and I think Fratello Rochira was a bit mad. But after 15 minutes he was totally fine and he loves Anziano Marengo to death. So all is well. I ended up spending the rest of my P-day playing UNO with Anziano Andersen, Alessia, and Michael (two of their kids) and then we went to the church where we had missed an appointment with Franchy. But it turned out all right because we ended up talking a few minutes with her and Fratello Di Blasi before they had institute. In the end we made it home to catch up a little bit on Area book before going to bed.

Thursday we went to see Sorella Pennisi. We initially took the right bus for 35 minutes and then it stopped and said we had to get off because it was out of service. We were on the other side of the city from where we needed to go so we just hopped on another bus hoping it would take us to where we needed to go. Luckily it took us close enough that we only had to walk for 20 minutes after 40 more minutes on the bus. In the end we were late, but we ended up getting a ride back to a bus station. That afternoon we went to visit the Meli Family and she loved it. She has not come to church for a couple of months because she has been sick and has been depressed. When we got there she about died and we sat and listened to her talk as her husband tried to add bits and pieces to the conversation. We learned all about them and she even asked if we could come back Monday to do a family night with the Anziani. After that we went to go visit Agata at her house. She was not too excited to see us but let us in. We talked for little bit and then her daughter, Eliza, came with her boyfriend and his mom. We talked to them for a little bit before we had to go to correlation at the church with Emanuele Mirabella.

Friday was a bit of a mess because there was a scioppero (strike) for all of the public transportation. We were lucky enough that in the morning we had to only go to the post office to grab the receipts for Sorella Turley so that she can get her permesso (permission to be in Italy) and we even got a ride back home from Silvana and Fabio (our friends from the snack bar below our house who happened to be at the post office too). And then we had weekly planning for the rest of the morning and early afternoon. But for that night we had planned to go to the navy base so that we could finally teach a lesson with Carol before she left for home the next day. With the buses not working until 6.00, we had asked the anziani if they could take us. The appointment was for 7.00 and it takes 30 minutes to get to the base in a car verses the hour and half on the bus. So we planned to meet at the bus station at 6.30 so that we could go. But because traffic is awesome, they did not get there until almost seven and then we got a call from President Shefchik (the lesson was going to be at his house) asking where we were. We took that as an opportunity to ask how to get there because we did not even know how to arrive at the base in a car. He gave us the coordinates and everything for the GPS and we ended up getting there at 7.15. Unfortunately, Carol was called into duty that night and had to leave at 7.45. So the lesson was 15 minutes long and we taught her all of the commandments. Luckily she is a sharp little cookie and is super elect so we had no problems. We then ate dinner with the Shefchiks and learned about how all of the monetary policies in the world (especially our own) are going to fail. I told him I am afraid for my future in 5 months and he told me I would be fine. Then we came home.

Saturday morning we went to go visit Sorella Cologero. She has a really sad story where she no one in her family talks to her for various reasons and her last son kicked her out of his house. Right now she is living in a hostel that is owned by and old friend. That morning when we went we heard the latest story with her son Marco and we felt really bad. We wish there was some way we could help her, but it's one of those cases where it her own fault . . . All we can really do is pray for her. After that we got stood up for an appointment in Piazza Duomo and then went home. That afternoon we saw Kristiana who still did not understand Priesthood authority . . . She told us she had prayed but did not receive an answer or did not understand it. So we asked her to explain to us what the priesthood is. She couldn't do it. So we re-read from the guide to the scriptures that it is the authority and power of God. We then explained authority by using the example of the police. If I tried to give her a ticket she would just laugh at me because I don't have the authority to do it. But if it was a police officer she would have to listen. She completely understood that. We then told her that it is the same with God. If a person were to tell him that they were baptized but it was not with the authority/priesthood God would tell them "nope, sorry, it isn't valid." Kristiana nodded and said it made sense. So we asked her to pray that night to know if her baptism was valid or not. At that she got a look on her face as if to say "of course it was valid. Are you crazy?" So we about had it there and we said "What we are telling you is that we believe the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be the only church with the priesthood authority. We are telling you that according to that, your baptism was not valid." Without a second thought she responded with "I don't believe you." Perfect! She FINALLY understood what we were trying to tell her. So we then walked her back through the restoration, Joseph Smith, and the Book of Mormon. She had already prayed about all of that and had told us that she knows the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith is a prophet. She agreed that she still felt that way so we went on to explain that Joseph Smith claimed to have received the restored Priesthood and that this church is the only church on the earth to have it. She was nodding her head at that point. So then, as always, we had to explain to her that she had to pray and ask Heavenly Father. We are two random girls who don't know anything. Also, Joseph Smith was just a man, but Heavenly Father knows everything. So she has to ask God if it is all true. In the end we left that lesson feeling a little more confident that she understood. Now we are just hoping the truth does not scare her away. Either way she is now free to act under more knowledge to choose for herself. After Kristiana we went to the church for a lesson with Angelo. We watched "How Rare a Possession" about Vincenzo di Francesca who was a Sicilian man who found the Book of Mormon. At the end we asked him what he thought. The first thing he said was "I think they should have picked someone who had a Sicilian accent." The second response was "I think it is really cool that a Sicilian is so famous the church." Every once in a while I want to flip him in the nose. I love Angelo, I do. And my patience has improved. But every once in a while he really tries my nerves :) But no worries, I behaved :) We then had a lesson with Giuseppe Milia. He is super great too! We explained the prophet cycle and then watched the Restoration film. He really liked it and even informed us that he is half way done with the Book of Mormon. At the end he even told us "Well, now I just have to pray about it. I think it's true, but I have to ask first." :D After that we had to basically run to our appointment with Cristina Spina. It was all up hill and I thought I was gonna die, but we got there in time to at least do a little lesson instead of the game we had planned for a family night. We had printed off the talk "Forget me not" from Elder Ucktdorf for Sorella Cologero but we decided to talk about that with Cristina instead. She really liked it and asked if she could keep it and finish it. Her son, Salvo, was not so happy to not play the game and whined the whole time. Then in the car ride home I was in the back with him and he kept tackling me. I was actually in fear of my life and ended up losing my earring. At one point his teeth were seeping into my arm. But no worries! I lived to tell the tale!

Sunday was great. Sure we went to go get Kristiana and she was not there, but that is okay. The meeting was good and we really felt the spirit. During sacrament meeting with the American branch we had a really sweet musical number of "Come unto Jesus". I cried :) After church we had a linger longer and the food was exceptionally good. We even had a bunch of home made ice cream. I also talked to Tami the whole time and she told me all of her great mission stories from when she served in England. After that we went to go see Sorella Maiori and she was in a much happier mood this last time, not so sad. I shared a couple of quotes from her that I took from the fireside Elder Holland gave in the MTC when I was there. After that we went to visit Margherita. We talked to her about the Restoration. We had to keep it really simple because she did not go to school and was married at 13 and had her first child at 15. She does not really know a world outside of Catania and the catholic church. But she likes it when we come and talk about these things and even asked us to pray in "your way. I like it better. You actually talk to God." She is such a sweet lady :) We still had a ton to do with the Area book and phone calls so we went home for the last half hour to do that.

Monday morning we had district meeting like always and did practice door approaches. I really liked it :) We were each assigned a person and a specific concern that we want to learn about. When it is our turn we are not allowed to let the missionaries in unless the address the concern written on the paper. I was a girl that is not very fond of religions, but believes in Jesus Christ. The other two had to talk about the second coming to get in my house. They failed, but it was fun being on the other side of the door. Now I know why our teachers in the MTC liked practicing so much, it really is fun after you've done it a bazillion times for real. That afternoon we went to do finding in the area near the Meli's house before the family night. We then had a nice little Christmas themed lesson from Sorella Giordano and then we ate. Then we walked home in the cold. And really, it was cold. It would not have been so bad, but it was really dry and windy so it felt just like Utah. I also had chosen to wear my thinnest skirt without tights. I ended up running the whole way home, stopping to run in circles as Sorella giordano caught up. Brrrrr. But then again, maybe I am still just climatized to Sicily and I don't know what I am talking about.

Yesterday we walked to Sorella Casella's house and the moment we walked in she was all upset because, again, we did not wear tights. Sure we were cold, but we weren't dying. She told us she felt guilty and wanted to know what she could do to help. We assured her we were fine and not to worry. We then talked about the Restoration because it has been so long since she has been in church. She remembers a lot, but she needs to revive the spirit and her testimony. We hope in the next few weeks we can see a difference. We then went and did house for an hour and then went to Villa Bellini to make a few phone calls before the Anziani came to get us to go to a lunch appointment with the Fichera family. We ended up being really late because the GPS couldn't find the little town where they lived and it ended up being a lot further away then we had thought. But the food was delicious and they are such a cute little couple! We asked what they were getting for Christmas and she said "I am my gift to him and he is my gift from him." Awwww! Corny, but I liked it anyways. We then went to go see Sorella Barresi. She is a really cute widow that lives alone and it really lonely and begs us to come over. We were there a little too long though so we ended up running from her house to the church. Usually it takes 40 minutes, but we did it in 20. We also ended up missing the appointment with Franchy . . . again! I felt so bad! But she then came to our appointment with Angelo. Again we talked about the Brother of Jared because he is fascinated with Ether chapter 3. This time it wandered into the fall of Adam and Eve and why we do not believe in the original sin. It's funny thought because he always sits and asks us what WE think. So I was tired of talking and said "Angelo, what do YOU think." He always gets this ridiculous grin on his face and then expels the profondity of his brain on us. But he is learning and this time he told us that he has discovered what a treasure the Book of Mormon is. I just had to respond, "I know, that's why we're here." Good thing we're friends :) English course went well, we talked all about what we did during the day and I explained how mom makes really good Christmas candy and other Christmas traditions. Then we did a lesson with the Anziani and Kumar, there awesome investigator who is literally made of Gold. He wants to serve a mission and just talks about how he can feel the spirit growing inside of him and recognizing the promptings of the Holy ghost in his life :) So cool.

Today we have not really done too much. I organized all of my photos and found out that I have used 14G of photos already. Good thing I have another 8!
The work goes on. There are the ups and downs of the life, so thank goodness we have the Lord with us!

Grazie per tutto quello che fate per me! Vi voglio un SACCO di bene!
Un BACIONE a tutti!
Sorella LeCates